Re: ext2 on flash memory

On 6/11/07, Kevin K <[email protected]> wrote:

On Jun 11, 2007, at 5:13 AM, DervishD wrote:

>     Hi all :)
>
>     I was wondering: is there any reason not to use ext2 on an USB
> pendrive? Really my question is not only about USB pendrives, but any
> device whose storage is flash based. Let's assume that the device
> has a
> good quality flash memory with wear leveling and the like...
>
>     Thanks a lot in advance :)
>
>     Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

My opinion is that, unless the flash is really cheap, or it is being
written to excessively, that it probably doesn't matter too much.
With the growth in size of flash, just how long do you think it will
continue to be used before you go to something larger?

A 256MB flash of a few years ago has been supplanted in many cases by
today's 2-4gb memory.

One suggestion with ext2 might be to mount it with the noatime
option, so it doesn't update the last access time for directories and
files.  Otherwise, you are doing a write even when you only plan to
read a file.

All of the posts fail to address the question here: what is the
correct file system, or does one exist yet, for wear leveling flash
storage.  JFFS2 and logfs are nice for MTD, but for better flash
memories that are likely to be used in the future like solid state
hard disks, what is the answer?