Re: 2.6.22-rc4-ck1 - Re: -ck patch | Feedback

Hi there,

After a lot of good feedback about the -ck patch from Celso Ramos, I
decided to try my chances and see for myself the difference.
I had a few problems to struggle first, but nothing to do with ck...

When I finally rebooted my Pentium4 computer, I truly noticed a
difference in the loading time of the operating system. I can be
mistaken, but it appeared to me a gain of 1,50 % of the loading speed.

On a graphic environment the changes are more difficult to notice, and
I may be wrong if I say it's faster, just because I'm expecting to see
speed improvements.

By the way, I'm using it on a  2.6.21 kernel.

Many thanks to the developers,
Miguel Pais

On 6/10/07, Miguel Figueiredo <[email protected]> wrote:
Celso wrote:
> Sáb, 2007-06-09 às 10:30 +0100, Miguel Figueiredo escreveu:
>> Celso wrote:
>>> Hello, I'm using -ck since... along time ago (I start using it with the
>>> kernel 2.6.16) . I started using it with Ubuntu and  the response of the
>>> system  was better. Since that I always compile my kernels with -ck.
>>> Actually I use 2.6.20-ck1 and I have no problems, even with things that
>>> needs kernel-sources like gspca for my webcam.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot for the patches.
>>>
>>> PS: when will this go into the official kernel?
>>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>>   have you tryied a newer kernel with -ck2 [1] ?
>>
>> I am also using a -ck patch, 2.6.21-ck2, mostly on 2 machines where i
>> use as desktop and also play games. With -ck2 the experience seems less
>> slugish and more smooth while playing 'second life' and have a bunch of
>> other programs open (mail, a zillion web pages, irc client, feed reader,
>> consoles, ...).
>> The desktop seems more confortable to use than with the vanilla kernel.
>> I also tryed cfs, it's also much better than the vanilla kernel but i
>> still prefer -ck2 for playing second life as it feels more responsive.
>>

>> If you try the -ck2 or SD 1.0 please report your experience. It's nice
>> to hear that people are testing/using these improvements on desktop usage.
>>

>> 1 - ck2 patch to add to vanilla 2.6.21,
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/ck/patches/2.6/2.6.21/2.6.21-ck2/patch-2.6.21-ck2.bz2
>>
>> PS: I remember i read somewhere that the SD patch (included in -ck) has
>> became stable (version 1.0) with a few small improvements!
>>

> Well, I upgrade to 2.6.21-ck2 and install it on my two pcs (I had before
> 2.6.20-ck1 on both) and the installation work, like always, fine. No
> problems. On the pc I use most (the better one :) ) I didn't feel much
> difference from 2.6.20-ck1 to 2.6.21-ck2 (for regular Desktop use), but
> in the older pc, where my brother works, he says that was even more
> "fluid"*.
>
> * direct translation sorry if it doesn't sound well

I don't know if there is an official announcement of patch releases but
today i spotted and started to use the new 2.6.22-rc4-ck1.

The list of patches included on 2.6.22-rc4-ck1 it's on
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/pre-releases/2.6.22-rc4/2.6.22-rc4-ck1/patches/

It's working...

--

Com os melhores cumprimentos/Best regards,

Miguel Figueiredo
http://www.DebianPT.org