Re: ext2 on flash memory

    Hi Eduard :)

 * Eduard-Gabriel Munteanu <[email protected]> dixit:
> >    I was wondering: is there any reason not to use ext2 on an USB
> >pendrive? Really my question is not only about USB pendrives, but any
> >device whose storage is flash based. Let's assume that the device has
> >a good quality flash memory with wear leveling and the like...
>
> Your USB pendrive will wear faster if you use an inappropriate
> filesystem. Such filesystems require frequent writes and change their
> internal state often.

    That's what I supposed.

> Really, why don't you try a more suitable fs for your pendrive, one that
> changes itself less than usual fs's?

    I was just wondering if, apart from the excessive wear, there were
other reasons. One of the reasons I would like to use a good filesystem
for a pendrive is to be able to store file metadata (UID, GID, mode,
etc.) properly, for example to store a "live" copy of my home dir in the
pendrive.

    Thanks for your answer :)

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado