Re: [Intel-IOMMU 02/10] Library routine for pre-allocat pool handling

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> Christoph Lameter wrote:

> > > Humm..I basically want to allocate memory during interrupt context and
> > > expect not to fail. I know this is a hard requirement :)
> >
> > The page allocator can do that for you. The reserves are configurable. Not
> > failing is a thing unseen in the computer world.
>
> but the page allocator reserve is shared.. and you will need this one EXACTLY
> when the shared pool is getting low... it's not an uncorrelated thing!

I think what needs to be done first is to define under what conditions the
allocation should not fail. There is certainly no way to have GFP_ATOMIC
allocation that never fail. After all memory is limited and at some point
we need to reclaim memory.