> In most of the law systems out there the copyright stays valid for 70
> years (or so) after the holder's death.

[I don't want to appear picky but IMO it is important to be as precise
as one could possibly be, therefor...]

That is not quite correct. At least for the german law system and
presumably for most if not all similar systems the corrrect stmts is:

In most of the law systems out there the copyright stays valid for 70
years (or so) after initial publication of the copyrighted work. For
work whose publication date can't be determined (*) (e.g. unpublished work)
the creators death is assumed to be the publication date for the sake
of determining the  aforementioned 70 years protection period.

(*) "can't be determined" does not apply for published work with an
insecure initial publication date. In those cases the earliest documented
publication (i.e. prooveable in court) is considered the initial publication
.date

Note that the original phrase could last indefinitely by simply moving
the copyright from person to person.

Best,
Michael
--
 Technosis GmbH, Geschäftsführer: Michael Gerdau, Tobias Dittmar
 Sitz Hamburg; HRB 89145 Amtsgericht Hamburg