Re: [BUG] Fwd: segfault : modprobe dccp_probe/tcp_probe

On 6/7/07, Chuck Ebbert <[email protected]> wrote:
On 06/06/2007 04:47 PM, Ian McDonald wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We've seen a report of a problem with dccp_probe as shown below. The
> user has also verified that it occurs in tcp_probe as well. This is on
> Dave Miller's tree but that currently tracks Linus' tree quite
> closely. I do note that it is around 2.6.22-rc2 timeframe so there is
> a possibility fixes may have gone in since.

It faulted when it tried to write the breakpoint instruction into the
running kernel's executable code. Apparently the kernel code is now marked
read-only?

Yes it would appear to be the case as user has CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA
set. Patrick - can you turn this off and retest? It's under Kernel
Hacking, Write protect kernel read only data structures.

The list of commits that I see around this are at:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux%2Fkernel%2Fgit%2Ftorvalds%2Flinux-2.6.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=commit&s=DEBUG_RODATA

I suspect it's probably one of the latter ones giving the timing.

I guess there are a couple of solutions here - either make kprobes
conflict with CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA so you can do one or the other, or
look into more detail what access kprobes need.

Ian
--
Web: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4/
Blog: http://iansblog.jandi.co.nz