Re: Kernel inclusion policy, meta desicion making structure?

On 06/06/07, Stefan Richter <[email protected]> wrote:
Tim Post wrote on 2007-06-04:
> I was wondering if a meta version of the decision making process that
> would be employed to determine if a new contribution does or does not go
> into the main stream Linux kernel.
[...]
> Does some document exist that shows the decision making process so that
> I can easily answer the ultimate question of "Why not" for myself?

There is documentation on how submissions should look like.

Some starting points:

Documentation/HOWTO
Documentation/SubmittingDrivers
Documentation/SubmittingPatches
Documentation/SubmitChecklist
Documentation/ManagementStyle

Other than
that, these are case-by-case decisions based on a number of factors.
Perhaps you should look up discussions on merge requests (accepted as
well as rejected ones) in archives or better at sources like LWN.net.

Good LKML archives to search :

http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel
http://lkml.org/

Sometimes good summaries of discussions / decision making processes
can also be found at http://kerneltrap.org/

You can also search the ChangeLog messages for different patches
easily via git-web:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux%2Fkernel%2Fgit%2Ftorvalds%2Flinux-2.6.git;a=summary

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>