Re: 4Gb ram not showing up

Wakko Warner wrote:
Tom Moore wrote:
Thank you for the reply back. Your answer makes perfect sense to me, and it is what I had suspected but was not sure about. The math seems to indicate that 4Gb of ram plus 1Gb of PCI address space equals 5Gb of memory space. So it does sound like I should have a larger kernel model.

What confused me the most (and still does), is the help message string that is presented for the CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G option: "Select this if you have a 32-bit processor and between 1 and 4 gigabytes of physical RAM."

4 is not between 1 and 4.
This idiomatic phrase suggests to me that it applies when ram is >= 1Gb and <= 4Gb. The fact that we interpret it differently indicates that it could be more clearly stated. If your interpretation is correct, then what would this mean when a machine had 3.5Gb of ram installed?
Well that sounds like the amount of memory that I have, so that is what I selected.

You should select CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G.

Also, although I know what PAE stands for, I don't know how to select it when building a kernel. Would I get this from the CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G option? The help text for that says: "Select this if you have a 32-bit processor and more than 4 gigabytes of physical RAM."

Personally, I feel the wording should say:
Select this if you have a 32-bit processor and 4 or more gigabytes of
physical RAM.

It may not hurt to say 3 or more, but I'm not that familiar with x86
hardware in regards to memory.

Ok, so it appears that this one is wrong also. If someone could explain the rules that apply, I would be happy to prepare a patch to the Kconfig script. I don't consider myself to be completely stupid, and if the help text was a bit more clear I wouldn't be asking these questions. I'm sure that other pilgrims will follow along later with the same questions.
This does not sound like it applies to my hardware. There is something wrong with my understanding, or with these message strings. I am still confused.

It does.

Here's my system (4gb of memory):
Mem:       3619996    3289352     330644          0     469764    2025416
-/+ buffers/cache:     794172    2825824
Swap:            0          0          0

I know it says 3.6gb of memory, but 4gb is installed.  I had 5gb in this
machine and I saw all 5gb.  This is a 32-bit dual xeon (12gb max memory)

I would be interested to know where the last 400mb of memory went.