Re: [patch 1/2] ufd v1 - unsequential O(1) fdmap core

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:12:35 +0200
Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:

> * Eric Dumazet <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > O(1) lookup doesnt imply it needs to be super-fast. You make a
> > confusion about this.
>
> Davide has written many good speedups for the kernel and he is one of
> the best scalability experts the Linux kernel has today. You could learn
> from Davide a thing or two, instead of lecturing him about O(1) ...

I know who is Davide, thank you :)

> For example, the recent futex.c changes you did in commit 34f01cc1 are,
> and unfortunately there's no better word i can find: plain disgusting.
> You apparently have plopped the 'fshared' code into the existing logic
> via conditionals and have blown up the complexity of the functions for
> no good reason - instead of neatly separating them out. You have added
> _33_ (thirty-three!) new 'if' branches to futex.c! The feature you
> introduced is nice and useful, but for heaven's sake please work on
> cleanliness of your code some more and undo that colossal damage ...
> preferably before working on other areas of the kernel.

This code took the normal path for inclusion and discussion. If you find it so horrible,
you should complained before. Fact is that you Acked it :)

If you wanted to make a joke, I find it quite misplaced.

> > O(128) is still O(1) for instance. Having to search a bit in a PAGE is
> > a sensible compromise, if we dont add overhead on each fget() calls.
>
> hm, i'm not sure what you are talking about here. Look at Davide's stuff
> - it's clearly not O(128)...

I am talking about my suggestion to use a bitmap search limited to one page.

So I named it O(128), this clearly should be labeled O(PAGE_SIZE/L1_CACHE_BYTES)