Re: slow open() calls and o_nonblock

Aaron> On 6/4/07, Alan Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Now, I'm a userspace guy so I can be pretty dense, but shouldn't a
>> > call with a nonblocking flag return EAGAIN if its going to take
>> > anywhere near 415ms?
>>
>> Violation of causality. We don't know it will block for 415ms until 415ms
>> have elapsed.

Aaron> Understood - but what I'm getting at is more the fact that
Aaron> there really doesn't appear to be any real implementation of
Aaron> nonblocking open().  On the socket side of the fence, I would
Aaron> consider a regular file open() to be equivalent to a connect()
Aaron> call - the difference obviously being that we already have a
Aaron> handle for the socket.

Aaron> The end result, however, is roughly the same.  We have a file
Aaron> descriptor with the endpoint established.  In the socket world,
Aaron> we assume that a nonblocking request will always return
Aaron> immediately and the application is expected to come back around
Aaron> and see if the request has completed.  Regular files have no
Aaron> equivalent.

So how many files are in the directory where you're seeing the delays?
And what's the average size of the files in there?

John