Re: Kconfig variable "COBALT" is not defined anywhere

I think the nvram is the only place left that uses CONFIG_COBALT

On 6/3/07, Robert P. J. Day <[email protected]> wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Tim Hockin wrote:

> There were other patches which added more COBALT support, but they
> were dropped or lost or whatever.
>
> I would not balk at having that code yanked.  I never got around to
> doing proper Cobalt support for modern kernels. :(
>
> On 6/3/07, Roland Dreier <[email protected]> wrote:
> >  > > >   there is no Kconfig file which defines the selectable option
> >  > > > "COBALT", which means that this snippet from drivers/char/nvram.c:
> >  > > >
> >  > > > #  if defined(CONFIG_COBALT)
> >  > > > #    include <linux/cobalt-nvram.h>
> >  > > > #    define MACH COBALT
> >  > > > #  else
> >  > > > #    define MACH PC
> >  > > > #  endif
> >  > > > never evaluates to true, therefore making <linux/cobalt-nvram.h>
> >  > > > fairly useless, at least under the circumstances.
> >
> >  > > Maybe it should be MIPS_COBALT ?
> >
> >  > that's the first thing that occurred to me, but that header file is
> >  > copyright sun microsystems and says nothing about MIPS, so that didn't
> >  > really settle the issue.  that's why i'd rather someone else resolve
> >  > this one way or the other.
> >
> > Actually, looking through the old kernel history, it looks like this
> > was added by Tim Hockin's (CCed) patch "Add Cobalt Networks support to
> > nvram driver".  Which added this to drivers/cobalt:
> >
> > +bool 'Support for Cobalt Networks x86 servers' CONFIG_COBALT
> >
> > I guess Tim can clear up what's intended...

ok, that sounds like it might be a bigger issue than just a dead
CONFIG variable.  if that's all it is, i can submit a patch.  if it's
more than that, i'll leave it to someone higher up the food chain to
figure out what cobalt-related stuff should be yanked.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page