Re: [patch 1/1] document Acked-by:

Andrew Morton <[email protected]> writes:

> I do that often.  It's useful information.  If person X sends an fbdev
> patch and Tony says "whoa, neat" and I send the patch to Linus then
> Linus could
> well think "wtf, Andrew doesn't know anything about fbdev".  So I do s/whoa
> neat/Acked-by:/ to tell the world that someone who knows something has
> looked at the change.

Makes sense.

> +Acked-by: does not necessarily indicate acknowledgement of the entire patch.
> +For example, if a patch affects multiple subsystems and has an Acked-by: from
> +one subsystem maintainer then this usually indicates acknowledgement of just
> +the part which affects that maintainer's code.

I'd add, just to be explicit, that acked-by does not necessarily mean
the acker is a maintainer of any subsystem the patch touches, or
generally maintainer of any code.

Unless it isn't true, of course, i.e., unless we really want to limit
expressing non-maintainers opinion in form of ack and nak.
--
Krzysztof Halasa