Re: Kernel utf-8 handling

    Hi H. Peter :)

 * H. Peter Anvin <[email protected]> dixit:
> Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> > (1) I can do <Compose><~><n> just fine on vt
> > (2) I can do <ö> just fine on vt too
> > (3) And copy+paste them both using GPM too, again w/o probs
>
> Both of those are in the 0-255 range, though.  I thought the issue was
> with characters 256+, like ??.  At least on my FC6 system that doesn't
> work with gpm.

    By now, to fully switch to utf-8, I only need to have áéíóúñ and
their uppercase counterparts (for people who cannot see the chars, they
are the acute accented vowels and the ntilde). I really hope that, in
the future, there are a way of fully use Unicode (and I mean the entire
range) using framebuffer in console (there probably is an emulator for
that job already, I have to check), but for the time being that's
enough.

    I really don't mind if I have to use an userspace program to have
unicode support on the console (the kernel shouldn't mess with
encodings, or have utf-8 only; I don't know the current status, that's
why I asked), but if the kernel does directly the job in the console
driver, that's not bad either.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado