Re: [patch 8/9] F00F bug fixup for i386 - use conditional calls

* Andrew Morton ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 02:14:53 +0200 (MEST)
> Mikael Pettersson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > yup
> >
> > X86_F00F_BUG needs to be enabled in all kernels capable of booting on
> > P5 class machines, whether or not some obscure CONFIG_COND_CALL thingy
> > is enabled or not. X86_F00F_BUG is not some optional optimisation, it's
> > an essential workaround for a serious hardware bug.
> >
> > Therefore it seems select rather than depend is called for.
>
> Nope.
>
> CONFIG_COND_CALL=n	-> 	do f00f handling the present way
> CONFIG_COND_CALL=y	-> 	do f00f handling the new, fast-n-fancy way
>

> Because I don't think everyone will want to drag all this cond_call stuff
> into their kernel just for slightly faster f00f handling.

Then I should probably leave the redundant
if (boot_cpu_data.f00f_bug)
test in do_f00f_workaround so that configuration where cond_calls are
not enabled still behave the same way as before. The redundant test will
make the case when cond calls are present a little slower, but we still
have the improvement when the architecture does not need the workaround.
I could also wrap this test in a #ifndef CONFIG_COND_CALL, but it seems
ugly.

Also, since the default is not to set the CF_STATIC_ENABLE flag, the
workaround won't be compiled in the kernel if the conditional calls are
configured out.

The question that arises is : what should be the default behavior of a
cond_call when the cond_calls are configured out? Active, active only
if the CF_STATIC_ENABLE flags is set or inactive?

--
Mathieu Desnoyers