Re: IDE/ATA: Intel i865-based mainboard, CDROM not detected

Len Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 08:37:21AM +0930, Jonathan Woithe wrote:
> > The CDROM was showing up in the POST in all cases.
> >
> > It turns out the problem (as I outlined in a followup post) resulted from a
> > combination of issues.
> >
> >  1) This board uses a Marvell PATA controller, so the relevant driver must
> >     be configured.
> >
> >  2) Unless the "Configure SATA as" setting in the BIOS is set to "AHCI" the
> >     PATA controller won't be found.  Sounds a bit odd and counter-intuitive,
> >     but that's what's happening.  Originally this item was set to IDE; the
> >     other option is RAID but I haven't tested that.
>
> Maybe the SATA pretending to be PATA took up the ports that the marvell
> PATA needed to provide PATA, so in effect hidding the marvell.

I don't think so but I could be wrong.  When "Configure SATA as" was set to
"IDE" the HDD was being detected as a SATA drive and showed up as /dev/sda.
The only visible difference the change to "AHCI" made was that instead of
the drive being handled by the ata_piix it now utilises the ahci driver
(which is a much better driver).  The other interesting thing is that the
probe for the Marvell PATA device occured before the initialisation of the
ata_piix driver (or ahci for that matter), so as far as I can tell ata_piix
had no chance to grab any ports before the marvell driver initialised.

Regards
  jonathan
--
"Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so"