Re: Syslets, Threadlets, generic AIO support, v6

On Wed, 30 May 2007, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

> Some programs - legitimately, I think - scan /proc/self/fd to close
> everything.  The question is whether the glibc-private fds should appear
> there.  And something like a "close-on-fork" flag might be useful,
> though I guess glibc can keep track of its own fds closely enough to not
> need something like that.

Sure. I think there are things we can do (like make the non-linear fd's
appear somewhere else, and make them close-on-exec by default etc).

And it's not like it's necessarily at all the only way to do things.

I just threw it out as a possible solution - and one that is almost
certainly *superior* to trying to work around the fd thing with some
shared memory area which has tons of much more serious problems of its own
(*).

		Linus

(*) Ranging from: specialized-only interfaces, inability to pass it
around, lack of any abstraction interfaces, and almost impossible to
debug. The security implications of kernel and user space sharing
read-write access to some shared area are also legion!