Re: CPU hotplug: system hang on CPU hot remove during `pfmon --system-wide'

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 13:56 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 28 May 2007, Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:
> >
> > 	So is it settled now on what approach we are going to follow (freezer
> > vs lock based) for cpu hotplug? I thought that Linus was not favouring freezer
> > based approach sometime back ..
>
> As far as I'm concerned, we should
>  - use "preempt_disable()" to protect against CPU's coming and going
>  - use "stop_machine()" or similar that already honors preemption, and
>    which I trust a whole lot  more than freezer.
>  - .. especially since this is already how we are supposed to be protected
>    against CPU's going away, and we've already started doing that (for an
>    example of this, see things like e18f3ffb9c from Andrew)

Indeed, this is how it was supposed to work.

	Note that it is possible to make stop_machine() an even larger hammer,
by scheduler mods to flush all the preempted tasks.  This would drop the
requirement for preempt_disable().

But cute as that would be, I've been waiting until someone demonstrates
an actual need...

Rusty.