Re: [RFC, PATCH 1/3] introduce SYS_CLONE_MASK

"Albert Cahalan" <[email protected]> writes:

> On 5/29/07, Eric W. Biederman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Albert Cahalan" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> That's not what I mean. (the "-e" causes that of course)
> I'm asking about the parent-child relationships shown.
> The "-H" option is a bit different from the "f" option.

Yes.  Sorry on the unmodified ps the parent-child relationship
seems to be displayed properly.

>>> I'd be a lot happier about breaking compatibility in this area
>>> if I could get a functional adoption flag. That is, I really
>>> would like to show a process as child of init if it naturally
>>> was created as a child of init. It's less informative to have
>>> fake children showing up the same as real ones. The original
>>> parent PID would do. (BTW, the original parent name and/or
>>> grandparent PID would be great to have) As a bonus, the kernel
>>> could reap these processes more quickly than init can... and
>>> then maybe we can stop caring if init is alive.
>>
>> Having the kernel not reparent user processes to init is an interesting
>> idea, especially when those processes have not existed.  I'm not
>> certain that is POSIX complaint and otherwise backwards compatible.
>
> I'm not suggesting that this be visible via POSIX APIs.
>
> It's almost certainly a given that getppid() must return 1, and
> probably /proc needs to show this as well. Without question,
> any process created by init must be reaped by init.
>
> Processes NOT created by init could be silently reaped by
> the kernel. They need to see their own PPID as 1, but there
> need not be any parent-child relationship in the kernel data
> structures. The kernel can fake the whole thing, which is nice
> because then the kernel isn't depending on userspace to
> correctly perform the pointless action of playing with zombies.
> (might setting the death signal to 0 be useful here?)
>
> For "ps fax" and such, I'd like to distinguish between init's
> real and adopted children. Right now the adopted children
> look like they were created by init, which is not true. I only
> need a simple boolean flag, set upon reparenting, to tell me.
> Such a flag may also be useful for optimizing away the whole
> wait/waitpid/wait4/waitid/wait3 nonsense when an adopted
> child dies.

I will keep it in mind.  A simple this process has been reparented
flag probably won't be too bad.   As for the rest I'm not certain.

With pid namespaces there is a certain sense in doing something like
this, but I'm not certain /sbin/init and all of it's replacements
don't care (although admittedly it would be a stretch to tell the
difference).

Eric