Re: [RFC] enhancing the kernel's graphics subsystem

On 5/28/07, Pavel Machek <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi!

> >> These are not isolated problems. Linux needs a
> >properly designed
> >> graphics subsystem. One way to achieve that is to
> >design it all on
> >> paper first so that we can try and locate the
> >interactions between
> >> modules. For example the current mode setting design
> >is definitely
> >> broken for multi-seat support, that's because you
> >didn't take that
> >> feature into account when writing the code.
> >
> >No it isn't the code Jesse posted can handle multi-seat
> >fine in the
> >areas that it makes sense as we've pointed out to you
> >you cannot just
>
> The code doesn't create one device per CRTC. Missing
> that feature
> means that we need a persistent root priv app around
> that owns the
> single device and then listens for messages from each
> seat asking it
> to do things. That root priv app is not necessary, it is
> a security
> risk and it should be eliminated.

Fine, submit a patch. But don't block other people patches just
because they do not address your favourite problem.

I have already implemented this once and submitted a patch.

Search in the paper for this paragraph:
http://jonsmirl.googlepages.com/graphics.html
DRM also implements the concept of a master user with more
capabilities than normal users. These extra capabilities allow the
graphics device to be initialized and the consumption of GPU resources
to be controlled. The current X server, which runs as root, functions
as the DRM master. There is actually no real requirement that the DRM
master be run as root, and there is a preliminary patch that removes
this requirement.

That paragraphs contains a link to the code that used to be hosted at
freedesktop.org. Maybe they can still find it.

--
Jon Smirl
[email protected]