Re: b44: regression in 2.6.22 (resend)

On Monday 28 May 2007, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 17:14 +0200, Michael Buesch wrote:
> > > The -oldconfig1 is the kernel that had no problems and the other shows
> > > the b44 problem. So if High Resolution Timer Support is disabled
> > > everything works fine and if I enable it the problems do appear again.
> > >
> > > I didn't test this on my 2.6.22-rc3 kernel yet, but I guess disabling
> > > High Resolution Timer Support will also solve the problem there.
> > >
> > > The older kernels I tried also work perfectly fine and they didn't have
> > > the High Resolution Timer Support yet.
> >
> > So, that's interesting, indeed.
> > Any idea what's going on, someone? Thomas?
>
> Not off the top of my head.
>
> Maximilian, does the kernel work otherwise (I mean aside of the b44
> driver) ?
>
> Can you please keep CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS and CONFIG_NOHZ and try the
> following combinations on the kernel command line:
>
> 1) highres=off nohz=off (should be the same as your working config)
> 2) highres=off
> 3) nohz=off

I tested this with my 2.6.22-rc3 kernel, here are the results:

without any special boot parameters: problem does appear
highres=off nohz=off: problem does not appear
highres=off: problem does not appear
nohz=off: problem does appear

I additionally built my 2.6.22-rc2-mm1 kernel without High Resolution Timer,
but the high ping problem is still there.

Maxi