Re: [2.6.21.1] resume doesn't run suspended kernel?

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Pavel Machek wrote:
On Sat 2007-05-26 18:42:37, Bill Davidsen wrote:
I was testing susp2disk in 2.6.21.1 under FC6, to support reliable computing environment (RCE) needs. The idea is that if power fails, after some short time on UPS the system does susp2disk with a time set, and boots back every so often to see if power is stable.

No, I don't want susp2mem until I debug it, console come up in useless mode, console as kalidescope is not what I need.

Anyway, I pulled the plug on the UPS, and the system shut down. But when it powered up, it booted the default kernel rather than the test kernel, decided that it couldn't resume, and then did a cold boot.

I can bypass this by making the debug kernel the default, but WHY?

HELL YES :-). We do not save kernel code into image.

That's clear, I'll have to use xen or kvm or similar which restores the system as suspended. Thanks for the clarification of the limitations.

Sorry, I wrote that late at night and quickly. I should have said "design decision" rather than "limitation," For systems which don't do multiple kernels it's not an issue.

I certainly would not have made the same decision, but I didn't write the code. It seems more robust to save everything than to try to identify what has and hasn't changed in a modular kernel.

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>