Re: pcmcia resume 60 second hang. Re: [patch 00/69] -stable review

Hi!

> > > This /mostly/ works - I've had my test machine cycling through a suspend
> > > cycle every 10 seconds for the past hour without any difficulties
> > > providing I unload USB first. If USB is loaded, the suspend occasionally
> > > fails with one of the devices returning -EBUSY and causing it to be
> > > aborted. I haven't looked into this in any detail yet, but it's
> > > presumably sufficiently generic code that it's potentially biting people
> > > on PPC anyway.
> >
> > Most probably.
> >
> > Still, please take what I said in the other thread into consideration: We've
> > been using the freezer for so long that at least some drivers started to rely
> > on it being used.
> >
> > Even if there are no such drivers on your system, they can be used by other
> > systems.
>
> Sure, but if any of these drivers run on PPC then they're broken anyway.
> The assumption that processes will be frozen during suspend is true in
> the specific case of ACPI and some of the ARM platforms, but not true on
> PPC or APM systems. We either need to fix the drivers to stop assuming
> this or add the process freezer to the other PM systems. Right now,
> they're buggy.

Well, PPC people are aware of this, and they think they can fix the
drivers. We probably want to drop the freezer for suspend long-term,
so. PPC machines use small subset of all the drivers, so it apparently
is not big problem for them.
									Pavel