Re: [RFC] LZO de/compression support - take 4

btw - does in-kernel lzo scale on SMP systems ?

is it a matter of lzo builtin compression or a matter of the component using in-kernel lzo compression ?

if i write/read data on reiser4 filesystem with lzo compression on - will all CPUs being used ?

just curious here, because i remember reading about a scale problem with zfs filesystem and gzip compression on solaris, so i'm just curious what to expect on linux.

regards
roland

ps:
btw - there is a smp aware lzop utility at lemley.net/lzop_patches/lzop.html

Hi,

This is kernel port of LZO1X compressor and LZO1X decompressor (safe
version only).

* Changes since 'take 3' (Full Changelog after this):
1) Removed 'unsafe' decompressor - hence also do away with symlinks in
Makefiles.
2) Rolled back changes where I replaced COPY4 with memcpy() calls.
This seemed to be causing too much perf. loss as shown by Richard's
tests. Need perf. testing again to confirm that this patch has perf.
comparable to original LZO code/Richard's patch.
3) Some functions were inlined (DX2, DX3 etc.) - this also seemed to
be one of factors for perf. loss. Changed them back Macros.
4) Added back the 'register' keyword - again seemed to me one of
factors for perf. loss.

Once I pinpoint exact reason for bad perf., I will do above cleanups
again. But this should not be reason for non-inclusion in mainline.
These are only minor cleanups.

Richard, can you please provide perf. results for this patch also?
Also, can you please mail back latest version of your LZO patch? In
meantime, I will try to include benchmarking support to the
'compress-test' module.