Re: 2.6.21.1 on Fedora Core 6 breaks LVM/vgscan

Jonathan Woithe wrote:
On 21 May 2007 I wrote:

Attempting to compile a 2.6.21.1 kernel for use on a Fedora Core 6 box
results in a panic at boot because the root filesystem can't be found.

I have just compiled 2.6.22-rc2 with the configuration file given in my
concerned.  Whatever broke LVM for this machine in between 2.6.18 and
2.6.21.1 has now been fixed.

I haven't had any problem booting with any of the kernels, but when I try to build a kernel with a Fedora config from /boot, it builds fine but doesn't boot after install. I started by building a very basic kernel for testing, and then started adding features to get everything I need. But just using the latest FC6 config file gets me a kernel which fails in just the way you mention.

There is still a problem with the CDROM but I will follow up in another
thread about that.

Happy to say I don't see that, I'm using PATA optical devices, and USB on some machines, both work. I can't get scanning to work even after buying a "supported" scanner, so I may have to go back to Slackware and a 2.4 kernel on one machine, but boot and run does fine.

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>