Re: [patch] x86_64: fix sched_clock()

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 12:12:48PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Andi Kleen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > please indicate that you've picked up my style cleanups, i dont want
> > > to redo all this a few days/weeks down the line ...
> >
> > It's done slightly differently now due to conflicting earlier changes,
> > but the end result should be about what you intended. [...]
>
> please send me your current sched-clock.c, i'll redo any remaining
> cleanups.

It needs at least one new preliminary patch (to add on_cpu_single);
please get the series from
ftp://ftp.firstfloor.org/pub/ak/x86_64/quilt/patches-2.6.22-rc2-git7-070525-1.tar.gz
You need at least tsc-unstable upto paravirt-add-a-sched_clock-paravirt
for everything

> But ... i find your approach curious, why didnt you just apply the
> cleanups i sent? You clearly started working on this as a reaction to my
> cleanup patches and to the bugfixes i sent ontop of the cleanup patches.
> Your "I'll do this differently" approach is totally unnecessary from a
> commit management point of view (this is new code after all and
> will/should go upstream in a single clean chunk anyway), the only effect
> this has is that that you are discouraging contributors like me from
> contributing cleanups to the x86_64 tree.

Unfortunately right now it is a already a set of patches; e.g. due to
the paravirt ops change. I can merge back the cleanup change; but
kept it separately due to your earlier complaint about not using
your patch. I think one hunk of your original one is still in there :-)

> so to me the impression is
> that deep in yourself you are (subconsciously) not happy about others
> contributing to the x86_64 tree. Please tell me that i'm wrong :-(

You're reading too much into that. Of course I value contributions
to x86-64, including cleanups. In general when I don't like it I complain
so saying nothing is approval (or me being not reading email, but that
doesn't happen that often)

-Andi