Re: 2.6.22-rc2 and libata/shutdown

Fabio A Correa wrote:

Hello Damien, people...

Damien Wyart wrote:
Hello,

After trying 2.6.22-rc2, I noticed the warning message from libata about
upgrading shutdown(8). First, I have two SATA disks, and get the warning for
only one of them. Second, I double-checked the source of shutdown for my
distro (Debian unstable), and do not see anything related to issueing
STANDBYNOW.

The warning is pretty important, and you can check it at

http://linux-ata.org/shutdown.html

I have been checking the sysvinit sources and I cannot see the portions on scanning SCSI or SATA
disks. I only see the IDE scanning and standby-related code at src/hddown.c. Does anybody know
how in the world are the SATA disks put to sleep in userspace?

Well, *if* they are being put to sleep, then this is almost certainly
being done with a call to "hdparm -y" or "hdparm -Y".

Yes, hdparm works just fine with SATA drives too.

Cheers