Re: how to allow board writers to customize driver behavior (watchdog here)

On Thu 24 May 2007 11:23, Paul Mundt pondered:

> Calling it a periodic timer when its in periodic timer mode makes sense.

No disagreements - but I don't think that a watchdog that doesn't cause a
reset is a periodic timer.

> Why you would want to interface that with a userspace watchdog daemon is
> beyond me, they're conceptually unrelated.

Agreed again - periodic timers have nothing to do with watchdogs. This is
where I am confused about why you are saying that the only event a watchdog
can have is a hard reset.

> Please read my original mail on the subject.

I did. Twice - but maybe I am still missing something. (sorry)

> I'm not advocating hiding a
> clocksource somewhere in the depths of CONFIG_WATCHDOG, they're
> completely unrelated.

I (and many others) consider a "watchdog" a clock sink - something that needs
to be poked within certain limits (too fast can indicate a failures just as
too slow is a failure).

The event or how something is notified of the failure of the watchdog to be
serviced shouldn't determine what the name is.

    What's in a name? that which we call a watchdog
    By any other name would smell as sweet;
                                         -Bill S

-Robin