Re: Status of CONFIG_FORCED_INLINING?

On Thursday 24 May 2007 8:38 am, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2007, Roland Dreier wrote:
>
> >  > - every static function in a header file must be __always_inline
> >
> > Why?  Why does it matter whether a function is defined in a .h file or
> > a .c file?  Can't the compiler decide better than we can whether
> > something should be inlined or not?
> >
> > Your argument seems to imply that we should never use the inline
> > keyword at all.

Do we ever use the "register" keyword anymore?  I don't make "suggestions" to
gcc, I hit it with a clue-by-by four.

> i hate to be in the middle of one of these again, but i think i
> initiated this topic way back when when i (like rob landley) asked why
> that config option was still around when it's been listed for deletion
> for a year.

I'm actually trying to write documentation on it.  Temporary copy at:

http://landley.net/kdocs/inline.html

> regardless of its good or bad points, one way or the other, something
> should be updated.

I'd be happy to just figure out what the policy is.  It seems like
the "inline" keyword should no longer be used, and either say __always_inline
or leave it to the compiler.  If there's a good counter-argument, I'd love to
hear it.

Rob