Re: how to allow board writers to customize driver behavior (watchdog here)

On 5/24/07, Daniel Newby <[email protected]> wrote:
On 5/24/07, Paul Mundt <[email protected]> wrote:
>  It sounds like your constraining your driver based on terminology.
> Watchdogs on most embedded platforms support either a 'reset' mode or
> otherwise act as periodic timers, trying to push both of these
> functionalities in to a watchdog driver is rather pointless.
> CONFIG_WATCHDOG implies 'reset' mode by definition.

I agree for a product in the hands of a customer:  let the watchdog
pull your bacon out of the fire.

But what about debugging?  Suppose your embedded computer with custom
drivers locks up solid every few hundred hours.  It would be nice if
the watchdog gave a stack dump instead erasing the evidence.  How about
having "action=reset" and "action=debug"?

"action" corresponds one to one with the functionality of the hardware
device ... what the board guy wishes to do when the interrupt expires
is up to the board guy and that may include doing a debug dump
somewhere ... that is most definitely not a realm i want to tread into
it ;)
-mike