Re: 2.6.22-rc1-mm1 cifs_mount oops

If srvTcp->tsk is NULL then the thread (cifs_demultiplex_thread) is
getting ready to exit and kthread_stop would not be needed.

It would probably be possible to recode this so we don't need to call
kthread_stop at all (send_sig is apparently required to wake up this
thread when blocked in certain places in the tcp stack - and in
combination with the existing flags might be good enough) - but I don't
know if it would make it simpler.    Fortunately there is no race, a few
lines after srvTcp->tsk is set to zero by the cifs_demultipex_thread, it
will sleep briefly before exiting (kthread_stop won't be called on a
thread that does not exist).

That section of code in fs/cifs/connect.c now looks like:

2071                         if (srvTcp->tsk) {
2072                                 struct task_struct *tsk;
2073
                                /* If we could verify that kthread_stop would
2074
                                   always wake up processes blocked in
2075
                                   tcp in recv_mesg then we could remove the
2076                                    send_sig call */
2077                                 send_sig(SIGKILL,srvTcp->tsk,1);
2078                                 tsk = srvTcp->tsk;
2079                                 if(tsk)
2080                                         kthread_stop(srvTcp->tsk);
2081                         }
2082                 }
2083
                 /* If find_unc succeeded then rc == 0 so we can not end */
2084
                if (tcon)  /* up accidently freeing someone elses tcon struct */
2085                         tconInfoFree(tcon);
2086                 if (existingCifsSes == NULL) {
2087                         if (pSesInfo) {
2088                                 if ((pSesInfo->server) &&
2089                                     (pSesInfo->status == CifsGood)) {
2090                                         int temp_rc;
2091
                                        temp_rc = CIFSSMBLogoff(xid, pSesInfo);
2092
                                        /* if the socketUseCount is now zero */
2093
                                        if ((temp_rc == -ESHUTDOWN) &&
2094
                                           (pSesInfo->server) && (pSesInfo->server->tsk)) {
2095
                                                struct task_struct *tsk;
2096
                                                send_sig(SIGKILL,pSesInfo->server->tsk,1);
2097
                                                tsk = pSesInfo->server->tsk;
2098                                                 if(tsk)
2099
                                                        kthread_stop(tsk);

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com

"young dave" <[email protected]>
05/23/2007 08:05 PM

Steven French/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
cc
"Andrew Morton" <[email protected]>, David
Kleikamp/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, "Linux Kernel Mailing List"
<[email protected]>, Shirish S Pargaonkar/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
Subject
Re: 2.6.22-rc1-mm1 cifs_mount oops

Hi,

I have one problem about this:  after the srvTcp->tsk is set to NULL
(maybe the thread is  still there, isn't it?), is the kthread still
needed to be stopped by calling kthread_stop()? If it is true, then
the task_struct should be saved before send_sig like my patch:

                        if (srvTcp->tsk) {
+                               struct task_struct * tsk = srvTcp->tsk;
                               send_sig(SIGKILL,srvTcp->tsk,1);
-                               kthread_stop(srvTcp->tsk);
+                               kthread_stop(tsk);

Regards
dave