Re: [stable] Wanted: Allow adding new device IDs during the -stable cycle

Chris Wright wrote:
2) In theory new hardware can seem to work with a simple PCI ID
update, and later we find it needs extra quirk handling or specific
driver support.  This could mean adding buggy support for new hardware
to -stable.  In practice, hopefully this isn't a real issue.

No need to worry about theory. Since you are (or should be???) taking stuff solely from upstream, you should already know what is needed, or not.

3) It hasn't been a pressing issue brought to our attention until this
thread and its predecessor earlier in the month.

Search your email archives, it has been brought more than the two times you cite.

My own personal experience is each time I've needed a PCI ID update for
new hardware it's also needed changes to the driver (read: e1000, every
single time).  So from my perspective neither sysfs nor relaxing -stable
rules slightly would actually help provide support for new hardware,
but that's clearly limited experience.

e1000 is not a representative sample at all...

	Jeff