Re: SideWinder GameVoice driver

Tomas Carnecky wrote:
Despite it's a Microsoft product, it's actually very nice and useful. A
little pad with a few buttons and connectors for a headset. It's an USB
device, but it doesn't represent itself as an input/HID device:
   HID device not claimed by input or hiddev

I plugged it into a windows box and the USB protocol it uses looks very
simple (see attachment): everytime I press one of the eight buttons, it
sends one byte, a bitmap of the pressed buttons.

What would be the best way to have this device appear in the system?
Having a separate driver/device node? Or is it possible to have a small
driver that would translate the gamevoice commands into evdev messages
and have a new /dev/input/eventX device appear?

I could write something like that myself, my C skills are good enough
for that, I'd just need some advice how to use the kernel USB/evdev
interfaces.

From your description it sounds as though it would be useful in applications where voice connect was useful and visual wasn't, such as blind users and embedded applications where a USB pluggable interface might be useful in unusual situations.

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>