Re: Enabling power states for Core 2 Duo

I'm probably missing something crucial here. So how do I enable power states? I'm using 64-bit Gentoo. My mobo is Asus P5B Deluxe. Otherwise ACPI works fine.

The BIOS has to expose this support in ACPI, if it doesn't (which is often the case on desktop boards) you won't get any C-state support (well, except for C1 which is just the normal halt state).

But unless I'm not mistaken, I don't have even the C1 state available. I seem to have only C0 according to "active state". "Active state is the sleep state currently used when the system is idle", isn't it? Here is the source:

http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/processor.html

But are you saying that with most desktop mobos one doesn't usually have the different power states available at all? So basically the only means to conserve power is to scale the frequency?