Re: [RFC] LZO1X de/compression support

Hi,

On 5/18/07, Richard Purdie <[email protected]> wrote:
> This patch, as of yet, only gives 'non-safe' version of decompressor.
> The 'safe' version  will be included soon.

How are you planning to add that back?

Please see newer patch posted.

The LZO author had some concerns about this code. The major issue he
highlighted was that it was 64-bit unsafe. Have you addressed that
problem?
I found certain parts which were 64-bit unsafe - corrected them. Now,
I couldn't see any more of such instances and posted as RFC :)

 Has it been tested on 64bit?
No. I am still looking for some 64-bit machine to test on (also some
Big-endian machine).

I'm worried that in converting this code the way you have, you've
possibly introduced potential security holes. You've removed all bounds
checking and are going to have to add that back to create the "safe"
version of the decompression function. Until I mentioned it, you seemed
unaware of the potential problem and the comments above suggest you
don't understand this code as fully as I'd like with regard to
overflows.

I just did the 'logical' porting work. I don't understand the
algorithm itself since I could not find any document that describes
the same.

The version I submitted has at least been subject to userspace scrutiny
over a period of time and is basically unchanged with regard to
security. It is much uglier though.

Richard

Yes. But it will be even better if we can verify/correct this
cleaned-up version - shouldn't be that hard for just ~500 LOC :-)

Thanks for your comments.

- Nitin