Re: bad networking related lag in v2.6.22-rc2

* David Miller <[email protected]> wrote:

> >  gkrellm-5977 0..s.  0us : cond_resched_softirq
> >  (established_get_next)
>
> So it's not the 3c59x bug :-)
>
> If you have a lot of sockets, there is not way to make the performance
> of dumping /proc/net/tcp not suck, use the netlink socket dumping
> which is:
>
> 1) more efficient even for full dumps
> 2) allows filtering for the best possible performance

hm, there is a cond_resched_softirq() for every line output so the
actual latency from this alone shouldnt be that bad. While /proc/net/tcp
has a quadratic algorithm, the per-line latency is O(N), which shouldnt
show up on the radar.

but note that Ananitya is running a fast system as a stock desktop
system browsing the web, so there shouldnt be tons of sockets. So the
latency isnt caused by /proc/net/tcp itself, but there does seem to be
some networking related anomaly.

we'll hopefully be able to tell this more specifically from the re-done
trace.

	Ingo