Re: kconfig - scan all Kconfig files

On Mon, 21 May 2007 03:43:45 +0200 (CEST) Roman Zippel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 20 May 2007, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>
> > I did a quick hack so kconfig could scan all Kconfig files
> > in the kernel tree.
> > By scanning all Kconfig files we gain the following:
> >
> > -> kconfig can report when a depends on refer to an undefined symbol
> > -> kconfig can report when a select refer to an undefined symbol
> >
> > Later we can push a lot of common stuff to the top-level Kconfig file.
> > And that may in the end result in a better structure overall for
> > Kconfig files.
>
> Well, some of that stuff should already happen earlier (and included from
> the arch Kconfig files), but that doesn't work for everything.
> I don't think that simply allowing to parse a file multiple times is the
> right answer, as it duplicates a lot of data. A simple example would be
> help texts, right now they are per symbol, but they should really be per
> menu, so archs can provide different help texts for something.
> "source" should become a bit more intelligent and parse a file only once
> and link the data into the menu structure.
>
> > All the "choice values currently only support a single prompt" are caused
> > by using the same config symbol in a choice list for several architectures.
> > That will be the biggest challenge to fix before we can introduce this patch.
> > Maybe we can extend kconfig to accept it???
>
> Define "accept".
> The basic rule for choice values must not be violated - none of them may
> depend on another value in the same group. The dependency tree allows for
> no loops, these choice groups allow for the only exception, but it has to
> stay within that group.
> One option I'm thinking about is to extend that group by naming the choice
> option, so kconfig knows they are related. This won't work for everything,
> so quite some renaming may be needed.

how about something that I mentioned a few days ago (in another
mail thread):

Make this work:  (-ENOPATCH)

if S390
include "some s390-specific Kconfig file"
endif

and if ARCH!=S390, don't read that file.

Actually it should be any kconfig-language statements inside
the if-block /methinks.

I understand that *conf treats all kconfig symbols as variable,
but ARCH=blah isn't really variable after it has been set.

---
~Randy