Re: something strange in libata-core.c for kernel 2.6.22-rc3

Tejun Heo wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Mybe I am wrong, but if you are detecting 40-wire cable to set them to
DMA/33, why the check includes also 80-wire cables configuring them to
DMA/33 too?

With this patch my nvidia4 IDE controllers detects correctly and
configure correctly DMA/100 for my HD and DMA/33 for my DVD (the first
uses a 80-wire cable, the second a 40-wire cable).

Am I wrong somewhere?

That's the drive side verification of 80c cable check, so if the
condition triggers we downgrade 80c or unknown to 40c.  Cable detection
on nvidia PATA is a disaster.  You're supposed to do some ACPI dancing
and drive side detection is completely bogus.  Eeeek....

Alan, did you have a chance to test the ACPI cable detection?  It just
didn't work when I tried it.  It always returned 80c on my machine.

Hopefully when we get that support in and working it will solve a lot of these issues (and others, like the laptops that have a short 40-wire cable that is good for high UDMA speeds which we presently have to hard-code detection for specific models).

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]