Re: Linux 2.6.22-rc2: make -j makes it unresponsive

Hi,

On Saturday, 19 May 2007 07:17, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> It's out there, both patches/tarballs and git trees are updated (although
> mirroring might still be ongoing)
>
> Various random fixes all over - the shortlog (appended) is fairly
> readable. The most notable ones are probably more SLUB fixes, and the
> epoll optimizations and cleanups.
>
> But there's stuff in architectures (ia64, SH, AVR32, POWER), libata,
> network drivers, sound.. Give it a try.
>
> I've been telling some people off on merging stuff, and I'll get even more
> hard-nosed about it after -rc2, so please don't even try to send anything
> but real fixes.
>
> I think the current situation looks reasonably good for 2.6.22, but I hope
> everybody will take a good look at the regression lists (whether they
> _think_ they are affected or not), and spend some time wondering "was that
> anything I did, or is it something I can look at". Ok?

Running 'make -j' kernel compilation on my test box (Athlon64 X2, 2 SATA drives
with 6 software RAID1 ext3 and reiserfs partitions, 2 GB of RAM) makes it
completely unresponsive.  I can't even move the mouse pointer when it's
running, I can't log to the box from the network etc.

The anticipatory IO scheduler is used.

Greetings,
Rafael