Re: RFC: kconfig select warnings bogus?

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 04:51:44AM +0530, Satyam Sharma wrote:
> On 5/20/07, Satyam Sharma <[email protected]> wrote:

>> symbol 'PMAC_APM_EMU' refers to undefined symbol
>> 'SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION'
>> 'UCC_GETH' refers to undefined symbol 'UCC_FAST'
>> symbol 'KEYBOARD_ATARI' refers to undefined symbol 'ATARI_KBD_CORE'
>> symbol 'MOUSE_ATARI' refers to undefined symbol 'ATARI_KBD_CORE'

>> like this?

>> the
>> >
>> > No, they aren't always.
>> >
>> > Look for example at the last one in drivers/input/mouse/Kconfig:
>> >
>> > config MOUSE_ATARI
>> >         tristate "Atari mouse"
>> >         depends on ATARI
>> >         select ATARI_KBD_CORE
>> >
>> > This is perfectly correct (the select'ed symbol is only unavailable when
>> > the dependency can't be fulfilled), and all things to "fix" the warning
>> > will make it worse.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean here. The select'ed symbol here is unavailable
>> because not all arch's define it. However, the symbol that selects it is
>> in drivers/input/... and hence run for all arch's. That's the simple issue
>> here that is resolved by this fix.
>
> And by the way, this is precisely the case for _all_ the select issues in
> this
> patch (the four that were raised by Sam) -- i.e. only one arch defining a
> config option that is selected by stuff in drivers/... which is common for
> all archs, and hence the warnings on other archs.
>
> I don't see any problem at all that is introduced / "made worse" by the
> patch, it just rectifies the problem to get rid of the warnings.

There's no doubt that it gets rid of the warnings.

But the warnings don't point to problems and the "fixes" for the
warnings make the Kconfig's worse.

If fixing warnings makes something not better but worse, it's always
worth a thought whether to disable the warning.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed