Re: UML doesn't compile in 2.6.21

On Thursday 17 May 2007 5:05 pm, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> Rob,
>
> On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 09:11:18PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> > 2.6.21.1 built for me:
> >
> > tar xvjf linux-2.6.21.1.tar.bz2 &&
> > cd linux-2.6.21.1 &&
> > cat > mini.conf << EOF
> > CONFIG_MODE_SKAS=y
> > CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
> > CONFIG_HOSTFS=y
> > CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
> > CONFIG_STDERR_CONSOLE=y
> > CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
> > CONFIG_LBD=y
> > CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
> > CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
> > EOF
> > make ARCH=um allnoconfig KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG=mini.conf &&
> > make ARCH=um &&
> > ./linux rootfstype=hostfs rw init=/bin/sh
> >
> > Does this not work for you?
>
> Yes, this compiles - with this warning, btw:
>
> WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:lpj_setup
from .got after '_GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_' (at offset 0x814de34)
to .init.text:set_reset_devices from .bss between 'stdout@@GLIBC_2.0' (at
offset 0x814de40) and 'stderr@@GLIBC_2.0'

> So it must be something with my configuration. I've tried to build a
> minimized configuration, see below.

You can either make a minimized configuration by hand, or you can use my
shrinker script (which is slow, but can be left running in a background
window).  I've attached the script.

For ARCH=um, you'd cd to your linux source directory that has the .config you
want, and run it like:

  ARCH=um ./miniconfig.sh mini.conf

And it should produce a file "mini.conf" when it's done.  The progress
indicator shows two numbers (111/222) which are the number of lines it's
confirmed it needs to keep, and the total number of lines remaining in the
file.  The one of the left counts up, the one on the right counts down, when
they match, it's done.

Doing a better version of this in C as a patch to the kconfig infrastructure
has been a todo item of mine for over two years. :(

> You can trigger the bug here by
> changing "Enable loadable module support.

UML supports modules?  Huh.  (Yeah, I suppose it does.  I've never used it.)

So the bug is "module support doesn't compile in UML 2.6.21" then.  Might want
to change the title and resubmit. :)

Rob