Re: Contributor Agreement/Copyright Assignment

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 10:59:49AM -0400, Bhutani Meeta-W19091 wrote:

> Motorola would like to understand if kernel.org has a contributor
> agreement (or a copyright assignment agreement) that is posted somewhere
> ? We are investigating what would be needed from a legal standpoint to
> possibly contribute in the future.

>From a legal standpoint, all Motorola has to do is to release the code
under the terms of the GPL version 2.

Motorola (or whoever else has it) retains the copyright of the code and
can even licence this code to other people under different terms. [1]

The mentioned "Developer's Certificate of Origin" only describes a
formalized way to express that the code is available under the terms of
the GPL and that you agree that the metadata will be stored
indefinitely. Nothing interesting from a standpoint, and since you'll
hopefully read Documentation/SubmittingPatches before submitting your
code, you'll anyway see it when you need it.

> Thanks & Regards
> Meeta Bhutani

Hope this helps, and thanks in advance for your contributions
Adrian

[1] but after published under the GPL, it will be available under the
    terms of the GPL forever for both the Linux kernel and other
    projects

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed