Re: Why can't we sleep in an ISR?

Dong Feng wrote:
If what you say were true, then an ISR would be running in the same
context as the interrupted process.

Yes, and it is, as others have said in this thread, which is a good reason why ISRs can't sleep.

But please check any article or
book, it will say ISR running in different context from any process.
So ISR is considered in its own context, although it shares a lot of
things with the interrupted process. I would only say *context* is a
higher-level logical concept.

Depends on which book or article you are reading I suppose. The generally accepted and often used thought is that ISRs technically are running in the context of the interrupted process, but because that context is unknown and therefore should not be used, it is often said that they run in no context, or outside of any context. Sometimes people then assume that because they run outside of any ( particular ) process context, they must be in their own context, but this is a mistake.