Re: Weird hard disk noise on shutdown (bug #7674)

Rob Landley wrote:

On Tuesday 15 May 2007 5:08 pm, Dave Jones wrote:
On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 07:32:43PM +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Francesco Pretto wrote:
> > 2007/5/4, Tejun Heo <[email protected]>:
> >> Yeap, the third iteration of the patch just got submitted.
> >>
> >>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ide/18485
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an easy way out.  We'll need
> >> userland shutdown(8) update.
> >>
> >> -- > >> tejun

> > didn't see it in the Andrew Morton merge plan). However, if you can
> > confirm the inclusion, i can send bug reports for ubuntu and gentoo. I
> > can even send an email to Miquel van Smoorenburg, who should be the
> > mainstream sysvinit developer (and probably the last maintainer).
> > Okay, the patch made upstream and webpage posted. > > http://linux-ata.org/shutdown.html

There's a typo..

"Check whether /sys/modules/libata/parameters/spindown_compat exists. If it
does, write 0 to it."
should be /sys/module/libata/parameters/spindown_compat

(no 's' after module)

Um, hang on. So libata can't reliably turn the system off without data loss and potential damage to hardware unless userspace goes through a special song and dance? And this is _not_ considered a defect in the kernel?

Why?

(Is there any other piece of hardware that needs userspace to quiesce it just so the _off_switch_ can take effect? Yes, I read both the gmane thread and the linux-ata.org link. I used to maintain the busybox halt/reboot/poweroff commands, although I don't anymore. That just called reboot(), and this worked.)

Why on _earth_ does complicating software suspend add extra requirements to actual shutdown? Since when does the shutdown command have to enumerate attached block devices? If anything this would belong in umount -a, but that doesn't care about the hardware of the underlying block devices and SHOULDN'T...

I'm confused.  Could someone please explain?

Rob

I agree. This didn't happen when I was just using the ide driver, why can't libata work as well
as the old ide driver.

My $.02
Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)