Re: Asynchronous scsi scanning

On 15/05/07 13:02, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 12:26:29PM +0100, Simon Arlott wrote:
I've already suggested a sysfs attribute - or something equivalent - would
be much better. It's just one function that a user might want to run multiple
times (e.g. after adding scsi devices?) - why should loading a module be used
for this?

It's easy to suggest a sysfs attribute.  What you've failed to do is
suggest the pathname of the sysfs attribute, the contents of it, or the
semantics of it (read-only?  read-write?  write-only?  blocking?)

I would assume that should be up to SCSI users/maintainer(s). The only thing I use the SCSI driver for is usb-storage/ATAPI.

My personal favourite would be to add a new verb to /proc/scsi/scsi, but
James dislikes that idea.

I'd *really* like to hear from distro people.  What is the most
convenient way for you to implement "load all the scsi modules, then
wait until all devices are found"?  James and I had thought that loading
a new module would be the easiest way for you, but it seems inconvenient
for you.

It's inconvenient for people who *don't* use it to be unable to stop the module being built and installed.

--
Simon Arlott