Re: undeprecate raw driver.

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> p.s.  before we get into this again where everyone thinks they know
> what they're talking about, i suggest consulting the official
> definitions of those two terms as defined at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/conform.html:
>
> Deprecated:
> ----------

[...]

> Obsolete:
> --------
>
> "An obsolete element or attribute is one for which there is no
> guarantee of support by a user agent."

Please quote W3C's entire definition of their notion of obsolete:

"An obsolete element or attribute is one for which there is no guarantee
of support by a user agent. Obsolete elements are no longer defined in
the specification, but are listed for historical purposes in the changes
section of the reference manual."

>   there.  see the difference?  why is this so difficult to grok?
[...]

If you apply W3C's term "obsolete" 1:1 to kernel features, then it would
read:

"An obsolete feature is one for which there is no guarantee of support
by a randomly picked kernel release. Obsolete features are no longer
implemented in this release, but are listed for historical purposes in
Documentation/ABI/removed/."

Except that the term "obsolete" is already used differently in the
context of Linux kernel features; see Documentation/ABI/README.

Also, you say "the official definitions of those terms" were defined at
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/conform.html.  That's not quite true.  What
you find there are the definitions of those terms as used in the HTML 4
specification.  Nothing more.
--
Stefan Richter