Re: Linux 2.6.22-rc1

On Sun, 13 May 2007, Antonino Ingargiola wrote:

> On my desktop pc with Debian Etch and 2.6.22-rc1 the gnome panel
> applet "Sensors Applet" give an error message "No chip detected".
> Works fine on 2.6.21.1 (it show cpu temperature) with the same config
> (I've only only done  make oldconfig).

One thing to check is that "make oldconfig" can actually change the
configuration if things were moved behind a new top-level configuration
parameter or such. I'm not saying that's the case here, but it's possible
that things like the i2c changes might have made you inadvertedly changed
some config option.

> Is this considered a regression or can be due to userland incompatibilities?

It's a regression, although I'd like to know more about your cases. It's
just hard to tell what happened: was it a i2c/hwmon driver that got
broken, or is it some sysfs file that got buggered, or what..

For example, "dmesg" output before and after (preferably as a diff between
the two), and what modules you had loaded in the working/nonworking case.

			Linus