HDIO_DRIVE_CMD and hdparm

	Hi,

`hdparm -t' uses HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) to flush the disk's buffer.
When using it on my own block device (the new PS3 disk storage driver), hdparm
gives the following error message:

| HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

When using it on an ATA or SCSI device, no such error message is printed.

According to the hdparm sources, hdparm expects the HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) ioctl
to either succeed, or to fail with errno EINVAL.

Apparently handling of ioctls is different for the different device types:
  - ATA/SATA handle HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (and a few other variants)
    => fine for hdparm
  - SCSI doesn't handle HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null), and returns EINVAL
    => fine for hdparm
  - If a block device doesn't support the ioctl, blkdev_driver_ioctl() returns
    ENOTTY
    => hdparm error message

Which one is correct?
  - blkdev_ioctl()/blkdev_driver_ioctl() return -ENOTTY
  - scsi_cmd_ioctl() returns -ENOTTY
  - scsi_ioctl() returns -EINVAL
  - cdrom_ioctl() returns -ENOSYS to mean not handled, continue
  - some block layer routines return -ENOIOCTLCMD to mean not handled, continue

This causes constructs with different tests like e.g.:

	sr_block_ioctl()
	{
		ret = cdrom_ioctl(...);
		if (ret != -ENOSYS)
			return ret;
		return scsi_ioctl(...);
	}

	cdrom_ioctl()
	{
		ret = scsi_cmd_ioctl(...);
		if (ret != -ENOTTY)
			return ret;
		return -ENOSYS;
	}

	blkdev_ioctl()
	{
		ret = blkdev_locked_ioctl(...);
		if (ret != -ENOIOCTLCMD)
			return ret;

		return blkdev_driver_ioctl(...);
	}

My questions:
  1. Does any of these have to be fixed?
  2. Shall I add a dummy HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) handler to my block device to
     return -EINVAL?
  3. Shall I just ignore the hdparm error message?

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe (NSCE)
[email protected] ------- The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1