Re: [linux-usb-devel] Bug creating USB endpoints in 2.6.20.x (kernel bug 8198)

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 03:30:41PM +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Chris Rankin wrote:
> > --- Tejun Heo <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> So, we can fix the problem Chris is seeing by breaking module unload (by
> >> allowing it to unload too early).  It doesn't sound too hot but module
> >> unloading race is much less likely than sysfs node deletion/open race.
> >
> > Yikes! Just temporary breakage, I hope :-)!! The only modules I unload on a regular basis these
> > days are things like "microcode", which the init scripts take care of as part of the boot-up
> > process.
>
> Okay, here's a half-assed fix.  With this patch applied, if you try to
> unload a module while you're opening it's dev attribute, kernel will
> oops later when the file is accessed or closed later but it should fix
> the bug winecfg triggers.  I really dunno how to fix this the right way
> in the stable kernel.  Better ideas?  Anyone?

This looks like the correct fix, the only reason I made this dynamic was
to properly set up the module owner.  And now that you have removed that
link in your sysfs rework, it can go and become static again.

Oh, and this isn't a "device node", it's just a text file that contains
the major:minor number for a device node to be created from.

So, care to fix up the class code too and send a patch with a
signed-off-by:?

thanks,

greg k-h