Re: Kconfig warnings on latest GIT

Kim Phillips wrote:
On Tue, 8 May 2007 00:04:14 +0300
Ismail Dönmez <[email protected]> wrote:

drivers/net/Kconfig:2279:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'UCC_GETH' refers to undefined symbol 'UCC_FAST'

looks like this introduces the error:

commit 7d776cb596994219584257eb5956b87628e5deaf
Author: Timur Tabi <[email protected]>
Date:   Mon Mar 12 15:40:27 2007 -0500

    [POWERPC] QE: automatically select QE options

I have a dilemma, so I need help fixing this bug.

This particular patch is necessary because without it, selecting support for the QE is too complicated.

Background: The QUICC Engine (QE) is a microcontroller on some Freescale CPUs that can mimic a wide variety of devices. It has multiple controllers (called UCCs), and each one can be an ethernet device, or a UART, or an HDLC thingy, etc. There's a QE library and a bunch of other support code in the arch/powerpc directory, so the QE is a powerpc-specific device. However, all of the drivers that use it are located in drivers/xxx.

This isn't a new problem. The common solution is to define some intermediate Kconfig option, like UCC_FAST_TEMP in the driver's Kconfig. Selecting UCC_FAST will then also set UCC_FAST_TEMP. The device driver then depends on UCC_FAST_TEMP.

There's also a UCC_SLOW option with the same problem.

The dillema is that there is no single device driver class that depends on UCC_FAST. Currently, there's only one that uses UCC_FAST: the ucc_geth driver. But I'm also working on a UART driver.

So my question is: in which Kconfig do I define "UCC_FAST_TEMP" and "UCC_SLOW_TEMP"? At first I thought, just put it in drivers/Kconfig, but that Kconfig does nothing but including other Kconfigs. I believe that if I submit a patch that adds "UCC_FAST_TEMP" and "UCC_SLOW_TEMP" to drivers/Kconfig, it will be rejected. Either that, or I'll spend six weeks trying to persuade everyone that it's a good idea.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this?

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale