Re: Execute in place

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Al Boldi wrote:
> >> What you're talking about is, *and should be*, a different filesystem.
> >> You will relatively quickly find that you have to deal with the same
> >> kind of stuff that you have to in any filesystem.
> >
> > That's exactly what I want to avoid, as this would introduce a
> > performance penalty.
> >
> > All we need is a periodically synced tmpfs to mmap, with a minimal
> > stream into page-cache algo on mount.
>
> ... which would be completely useless, because you wouldn't get any sort
> of coherency; you would have pointers pointing into space, etc. etc.

You don't really think that anybody is suggesting to store the tmpfs data
without any coherency, do you?

I am suggesting that you can easily isolate tmpfs coherency from the rest of
the page-cache, by simply streaming tmpfs data out to an mmap and plugging
it with the tmpfs fat on umount.  And streaming things back in on mount.

> Sorry, it's useless.

Persisting tmpfs is useful for the mere case of saving you the need to
repopulate on mount.

Thanks!

--
Al